Shooting outside the UK

When filming outside of the UK there are a number of potential issues that you should be aware of before booking those tickets.

Note: This page is under construction, advise listed here may not be accurate. Seek a second opinion.

High value items such as camera equipment would traditional require import tax being paid if taken into another country, however if you are filming you can use a Carnet, which is in essence a list of all the equipment you have with you that you are declaring as a temporary import which will be returning back to its country of origin when filming wraps. There are many companies that specialize on Carnet

Carnet Countries
Not every country subscribes to the ATA Carnet system, so countries not listed here will require alternate import protocols. The current list of carnet countries are as follows (as of December 2013)

  • Algeria
  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Belarus
  • Canada
  • Canary Islands
  • Chile
  • China
  • Croatia
  • Cote D’Ivoire
  • Gibraltar
  • Hong Kong
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Iran
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Lebanon
  • Macedonia
  • Malaysia
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Pakistan
  • Russia
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • South Africa
  • Sri Lanka
  • Singapore
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United States of America

Lithium-Ion Batteries
Broadcast equipment batteries are traditionally Lithium-Ion (li-ion) and whilst very good and generally stable, if faulty or shorted they can emit immense heat and cause fires. As a result their transportation by air is strictly controlled… bla bla bla